Saturday, November 7, 2009

Time to go Old school

Waiting for the process of the settlement of my insurance claim, today I pulled out the old AE1 and dusted it off.

I will post the results of my 'reacquaintance' of an old friend in the coming days. It was weird yet familiar as I advanced the film and pressed the shutter control. I didn't realize just how much I missed that solid sound of the shutter. It was a moment of heartfelt joy, so indescribable.

"This guy is a little weird," you think as you read this. Well times change and I was reluctant to switch to digital format. Yet in my three and a half years of living in Calgry(yes I intentionally dropped the second 'A' I will explain in a moment) the lab has lost three rolls of film. This is a constant fear of any photographer. In fact the professional photographers from National Geographic had a system to make sure that the fruits of their labour somehow made it back to head office.

They would number each roll of film that they shot on assignment. Then they would seperate the even numbers from the old numbered rolls. Packaged seperately, they would then ship the odd numbered rolls in one parcel and the even numbered rolls in another package. That way of the post office lost one parcel. The photo editor was able to get some of the pictures from the field.

Now back to the Calgary without the second 'A'. I was on a movie set a couple of weekends ago. When I was asked how long I had lived in Calgary. I was puzzed and asked how did you know I wasn't from Calgary. It was explained to me that I was found 'out' because I pronounce the name of the city as CalGARY. People from these parts pronounce it CalGRY. They don't pronounce the second 'A'.

Its kind of like the newcomers to Windsor and how they pronounce the street names. IE-Ouelette or Pierre or Tecumseh Rd. Newcomers pronounce these names as Oolette, Pie-arre, Tecumsah. Go figure!

No comments: