Saturday, November 26, 2011

from Grandma...

Growing up, we usually found a pair of these under the tree on Christmas morning. The ones for us boys had a bow tie on the top. Our sister's had a flower. This was also the case in my cousin's house.

Then as my cousins and I got married and had kids, there would be a pair of knitted slippers beneath the tree for our wives and kids. All handmade by Grandma Burgess.

Well Grandma has been gone for a few years now. She's one of the many ghost's of my Christmases past, along with a long list of loved ones who made Christmas and Christmas mornings special. They live as fond memories that I will once again look back on this Christmas morning.

Now I have taken to going to winter craft shows in community centers or church basements looking, searching for slippers for the coming cold season. It was either this or hire some gray haired granny to make them for me. The fact that they are not wrapped to be found under the tree I will have to get over.

I will deal with that on Christmas morning. I will sit in my chair reflecting back on my Christmases past. I can still remember the tag signed, 'to David from Grandma with love.'

1 comment:

TheRealGlenMiller said...

Heya David,

Your grand parents were awesome people, it seems like yesterday that we were all sitting in the house on Baldwin having good times. Every time I go to Windsor I drive by the house...