Thursday, November 26, 2009

drive by photography





There's a self label that I have named my hobby and its called drive by photography. Its all part of my philosophy in life. Anyone who knows me, is quite aware of the fact that to me-getting there is all part of the adventure. That is one of the benefits of being relatively new to this part of the country. There are lots of unexplored country for me to discover.

That's why my camera has never been too far from my side while I sit behind the wheel. You just never know what you are going to come across. So you have to be ready to capture what you see, while it wasn't critical here when it comes to traveling in the mountains and you're dealing with wild life it is completely different.

Just a warning, if you travel through the mountains as a photographer in a white pick up truck keep in mind that the bears are conditioned to run from white pick up trucks. This is due to the fact that the conservation officers drive white trucks they know that there will be a sore back side to follow. After all this conditioning of CO's driving white trucks around to shoot bears with rubber bullets, the bears know better.

Now if you are a 'drive-by-photographer' don't be scared to get out and walk around to get pictures from different angles. Sometimes if you zoom in on something specific, you may get some really interesting photos compared to the whole item. If you don't you may regret it later. Being careful not to trespass. If there is something that you have to shoot, try and get the property owner's permission. Take the time to explain what you are after and why.

This one time outside of Windsor, I drove past this fellow who was buring debris in the ditch out front of his farm house. He stood there naturally posed with his chin resting on his shovel watching the fire. I pulled onto the should, approached him and asked if I could take his picture. Looking at me like I was nuts-he agreed. The photo turned out great, I even printed up an 8x1o and gave it to him the next time I was in the area. His wife was thrilled with the photograph and was amazed at the fact she actually had a great natural photo of her husband.

No comments: